Sunday, April 4, 2010

Activism Log 6

Katelyn Temple
Professor Nina Perez
WST 3015
March 28, 2010

Activism Log 6

• Activism

This week was kind of slow. I have accomplished a lot of flyering, both on and off campus. I figure college students aren’t too willing to foster a pet or come to an event on a Sunday afternoon so we have been focusing on older crowds. Personally, I have been flyering in neighborhoods and at my job. Also, local places I frequent are also hearing all about this event to raise awareness about animal abuse, domestic violence and helping animals in need. My veterinarian and I have an appointment to talk, I plan on asking if his office will donate food or litter or some type of donation. I recently went to my car insurance agent’s office to pick up papers, so I handed out flyers while I was there because their office is about a mile from Louie and Marie’s.

• Reflection

While reading chapter ten of our text, Women and the Military, War, and Peace, I learned that, “For many … women, the military offers much better opportunities than the wider society: jobs with better pay, health care, pensions, and other benefits, as well as the chance for education, travel, and escape from crisis…” (496). This chapter made me think of the chain of events in someone’s life that can lead them into a situation in which they need the help we are trying to provide. I wish all women had the opportunity to better their lives. If this is a way to help, I am happy to do so.

• Reciprocity

While flyering in local neighborhoods, I have met so many people. I have met families who adopted pets, found pets, saved pets, took in unwanted pets; all of these families were happy to share their stories with me. I feel satisfied collecting donations. Walking around neighborhoods, I have collected 2 bags of litters, 7 cans of food, a carrier, and a pet bed.



Work Cited
Women and the Military, War and Peace. Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives 5 (2010): 493-510. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment