Saturday, March 20, 2010

Activism Log 5

Katelyn Temple
Professor Nina Perez
WST 3015
March 21, 2010

Activism Log 5

• Activism

This past Friday, Seabury, Janet and I assisted in the set up of the Animal Safehouse of Brevard tent at a concert on campus. Earlier, while at school, I took advantage of the free printed and I printed about 100 flyers for the event. Janet and I met early to discuss the day’s event. Around two in the afternoon, we met Seabury and waited for our community partner, Babette. Arielle would not be arriving until later. Some more volunteers showed up and we began to assemble the tent, organize the table, and fight the wind to keep everything in place. I had to leave to go to work but I was happy I got to help with the organizing and set up.

• Reflection

Paula Ettelbrick, the author of Since when is marriage a path to liberation?, made me think a lot this week about how some of the people handing over their animals because of an abusive situation, could be men. Homosexual couples “must compare ourselves to married couples” (318). This made me think homosexual couples can be intertwined with abuse, just like the heterosexual persons I assumed we would be helped. I must admit I was a little narrow minded, I do not think I thought this on purpose but I am glad I realized this so I can expand my goal.

• Reciprocity

While at the event, I spoke with Babette about the people they were helping. She showed me bracelets, each was in a baggie with a sticker. The sticker had the name and date of death of someone who died in a domestic violence situation in the Orlando area. Most of the names were male. This really made me think.



Work Cited

Ettelbrick, Paula. "Since When Is Marriage a Path to Liberation?" Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives 5 (2010): 317-320. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment