Monday, March 15, 2010

Activism Log 3

Katelyn Temple
Professor Nina Perez
WST 3015
March 7, 2010

Activism Log 3

• Activism

Everything has come together. Recently, I was able to locate a venue to host our signing day. It is a small Italian Restaurant in the UCF area. This restaurant has a real family feel to it. Everybody has better much gone off their separate ways working on different things. We are all depending on each other a lot but at the same time I believe we can come together.
Arielle, our community partner with Animal Safehouse sends us frequent emails about printing flyers and about upcoming events and possible volunteer opportunities. I responded and I will be helping to set up for an event on campus at the end of this week. Also, printing flyers is the least I can do to help the cause. My tuition pays for it anyways.

• Reflection

The restaurant we are having our event at is called Louie and Maria’s. The homelike atmosphere invites patrons in, including my own family, for a great meal. This homelike atmosphere made me realize it was the place for the event. I do not know why I did not think of it before.
As Aurora Levins Morales points out, “Victim-hood absolves us from having to decide to have good lives. It allows us to stay small and wounded instead of spacious, powerful and whole.” (284). Women is domestic violence situations may be frequenting Louie and Maria’s, and who knows, maybe she’ll see our flyer hanging in their window. The point is, these women need help and we are already collecting donations. It is coming together greatly.

• Reciprocity

Speaking with Arielle and arranging to helping with the set up for an on campus event is fun. It is good to obtain hours by actually working with Arielle because I have yet to meet her at this point. I am sad I cannot stay for the event, but I have to work. My building manager at work has yet to respond to my request for permission to hand out flyers at baseball games. I hope to hear from him shortly. Also, I am excited because I know Andee is speaking to the manager of Sweets in Waterford.



Work Cited


Levins Morales, Aurora. "Radical Pleasure." Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives 5 (2010): 283-84. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment