Sunday, April 18, 2010

Activism Log 8

Katelyn Temple
Professor Nina Perez
WST 3015
April 11, 2010

Activism Log 8

• Activism

Well, this week was our event. All the flyering, hard work and donation collecting has paid off. Although we did not get the turn out we had hoped for, I was proud of the donations we collected. We made a list of all those who attended the event, and of all those who donated before the event. I have been communicating with Arielle a lot this week. I met her to hand over the donations. The amount of donations was overwhelming to Arielle. They filled her car.

• Reflection

According to chapter 11 of our text Women’s Lives: Multicultural Perspectives, which talks about environmental injustice, people have civil rights. As the text states, “under which [civil rights] all citizens have a right to healthy living and working conditions” (Women and the Environment, 541). People may have the civil right to healthy living conditions but what about living conditions? I cannot help but to think of all those who we are not helping. Pets going hungry, women being unable to leave a desperate situation, and the alternatives to all of these situations.

• Reciprocity

Although we all put a lot into this project, I am extremely satisfied with the outcome of the event. I did everything I could to ensure its success. I have enjoyed talking to Arielle. I was proud when I saw how happy she was with the success of our project. It feels great to help. To be a part of something bigger than I, bigger than any of the six of us are. This project has left me feeling quite accomplished.



Work Cited

Women and the Environment. Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives 5 (2010): 535-548. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment