Sunday, February 21, 2010

Activism Log 2

Katelyn Temple
Professor Nina Perez
WST 3015
February 21, 2010

Activism Log 2

• Activism

This week was a bit challenging for me, personally. School work and actual work seems to be taking over my life. However, this week, I managed to intertwine the two things that have taken over my life for this service learning project. I work at the University of Central Florida arena at school sporting events and concerts, so I decided I would talk to the building manager to obtain permission to flyer in the lobby of the arena before and after basketball games. Basketball games are always packed and there are only two home games left so they are surely going to be busy. Also, Kristen, Seabury and I decided we would get together Monday to search for venues. We have decided to focus on small, privately owned businesses so Monday will be dedicated to accomplishing this goal. Unfortunately, looking into having a bake sale was fruitless. There are too many rules and hoops we would have to jump through.

• Reflection

Chapter six of our text, Women’s Lives: Multicultural Perspectives, violence against women is discussed. Figure 6.1 gives a detailed account of what violence technically is. “Threatening or hurting family/friends/pets” (259) is a major point. The women escaping the domestic violence scene may be afraid for their children and pets, more so then themselves. Obviously, a woman in distress will rescue her child, but sometimes they must leave a pet behind. It is plausible that an angry person may take their aggression out on the pet because it cannot speak or tell anyone what occurred. The angry person may just want to send a message; that they aren’t afraid to do worse. My mind wanders and I do not want to think about all the pets who are left behind. I hope to help animals, which is why I chose this group.

• Reciprocity


I have been discussing Animal Safehouse and the work my group and I are doing with my family and friends. My father is interesting in becoming a foster parent which makes me feel like I actually am helping. I enjoyed talking to the arena building manager because I see him everyday, I know who he is but I have never really talked to him. I am happy I was able to intertwine work and school this week. I feel a little flustered looking for a venue because there are a lot of aspects that must be looked at. But we will get it done.



Work Cited


Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment