Monday, February 15, 2010

Activism Log 1

Katelyn Temple
Jeannina Perez
WST 3015
February 15, 2010

Activism Log 1

• Activism

This week was our first week of planning. Andee personally knows our community partner, Arielle, so she has been taking care of communicating with her. I looked into SGA requirements to host a bake sale and to table outside of the student union.

Seabury and I met this week. We made an outline of our goals and lists of possible venues to host the “signing day”. We made lists of locations around campus and in the local community to post flyers and to table. We decided that since our group has been having trouble making arrangements to meet, we would send out an email asking for all communication to be done online.

Andee and I went to the Waterford shopping plaza to meet with a few business owners to discuss tabling or holding the “signing day” event at the location. We were told by most to contact corporate therefore we decided to focus on privately owned businesses. We handed out a few flyers also.

• Reflection

The animals we will be able to assist by participating in this service project keep running through my mind. I hope that we can raise awareness, gather donations, and host a successful “signing day” event in which we can match possible foster parents with Animal Safehouse of Brevard.

The authors of our text, Women’s Lives, Multicultural Perspectives, Gwyn Kirk and Margo Okazawa-Rey express the meaning of community in chapter three. The section I am speaking of says, “Community, like home, may be geographical and emotional, or both, and provides a way for people to express group affiliations” (94). Community and home is where the heart is. My heart is settled in my home and my community but this project is making me realize others homes and communities may not be as safe. Especially for animals stuck in abusive homes.

• Reciprocity

Spreading the word about this non-profit organization is fulfilling. It may be selfish but I feel like I am going to enjoy this. I guess no good deed is unselfish. The important thing is that I will be helping raise awareness and hopefully I can assist Animal Safehouse of Brevard in finding volunteers to assist in rescues and taking care of these animals in need. This is a feminist perspective because we are raising awareness for women’s issues.





Work Cited


Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment